Proper table setting, corresponding to the event, about the time of day and feast, will allow guests to feel satisfaction from the event, and from the meal itself.
Proper table setting not only emphasizes the delicate taste of the hostess, but also shows her respect for guests and households.
The table is served according to the occasion, menu, subject and time of day. At the same time, the purpose of any serving is to provide guests with a comfortable and pleasant pastime and convenient access to all the dishes presented.
Proper table setting emphasizes the good taste of the hostess
Basic rules for serving tableware with cutlery at home
The first thing you need to select and cover the tablecloth. For a rectangular table, take a tablecloth 50 to 60 cm longer than the tabletop. If the table is round or oval - 100 - 110 cm wider than the diameter of the tabletop.
Calculate the length of the tablecloth so that its edges are below the bottom surface of the table by 30-50 cm.
A homely white tablecloth is needed for a homemade dinner, but other soothing pastel colors will do.
IMPORTANT: It is good if the color and texture of the tablecloth is in harmony with the color and texture of the curtains, upholstered sofas and chairs in the room. In any case, the tablecloth should be perfectly ironed.
Table setting cutlery at home
When the table is set, arrange the appliances. First of all - glass and porcelain plates and dishes. Behind them are knives, spoons, forks and other necessary appliances.
Utensils and appliances for serving the table
The last put glass and crystal glasses, piles, glasses.
The correct location of the devices when laying the table
Basic rules for serving tableware at home
Plates on the table first, and glasses, piles, glasses - the last.
Arrange the plates in this order:
- Place the middle plate (snack bar) in such a way that 2.5 - 3 cm is left up to the edge of the table.
- Place the pie plate (bread) on the left, leaving about 10 cm.
- If you intend to change dishes, put a small-sized dinner plate under the diner, having previously laid a napkin under it.
IMPORTANT: Depending on the type of the first dish, choose a plate for it. If cream soup or broth is to be served, take a bowl, if thick soup or borsch is a large deep plate.
Place a wine glass on the right, a water glass on the left, but they must be in one line. Two rows of dishes for drinks is allowed if a grand event is prepared with a large variety of dishes and drinks.
IMPORTANT: Tableware must be prepared well in advance. To do this, it is washed, dried, carefully wiped with a towel. The main thing is that before serving the dishes looked perfect. Divorce, drips, dull or opaque appearance of it is unacceptable.
Beautiful home table setting
Folding napkins for serving the table
Napkins - an essential attribute of any feast. No matter how beautiful were folded paper or linen napkins, do not forget that they, first of all, serve for the convenience of guests.
Therefore, any napkin should be located in the most accessible place, and even the most intricate napkin figure - easy to turn around.
Folding napkin in the form of a Christmas tree
The pictures and video show how quickly and beautifully to make a flat or three-dimensional figure from a napkin.
Volumetric folding linen cloth
Beautiful folding napkins for table setting
Folding a paper napkin in the shape of a heart for table setting
IMPORTANT: Volumetric cloth napkin shapes will keep their shape well, and the napkins themselves can be easily washed off from stains if they are starchy.
To starch linen cloth:
- In 0.5 liters of cold water, add 1.5 tbsp. starch and stir until you get a homogeneous solution of a cloudy white color that does not contain lumps.
- Boil 1 liter of water, pour into the prepared solution and mix.
- Cool and strain through cheesecloth.
- Put the clean, dry wipes into the solution and squeeze a little.
- Hang the napkins to dry without using clothespins.
- Start ironing between two towels as soon as all the water has drained from the napkins.
IMPORTANT: According to the rules of etiquette, beautifully folded napkins should be at solemn feasts. For other events, napkins can simply be gently put in a glass or stand.
Rules for serving breakfast etiquette
To properly serve the table for breakfast, follow the following scheme:
- Arrange the snack plates.
- Put the cups and glasses.
- Place a teaspoon on a saucer.
- On the snack plate set the egg holder, do not forget about a special spoon.
- Place a porridge bowl on the snack plate as well.
- Place a coffee pot or tea with a hot drink in the middle of the table.
- Serve sandwiches or croissants on a large flat dish.
IMPORTANT: On a table served for breakfast, a saucer for jam or honey, a butter dish, a salt shaker and a sugar bowl will be appropriate.
Table setting for breakfast
The rules of table setting for dinner on etiquette
Dining options for dinner are several, as the dinner itself may consist of a different number of dishes:
- Place a dinner plate on the table covered with a tablecloth.
- On a shallow plate, place a deep one for the first course.
- Add a snack plate if you serve dishes that cannot be eaten from common dishes.
- Place a fork to the left of the plates, a soup spoon and a knife to the right, the knife should be closer to the plates and the spoon closer to the edge of the table.
- Decorate a snack plate with beautifully folded napkins.
- In the center of the table, place the salt shaker, sudochki with the necessary spices and seasonings.
- Wine glasses and glasses for water, put the right and left respectively.
- Place a bottle of alcoholic beverage on the table beforehand uncorked.
- Fresh flowers in the center of the table will decorate and complement even imperfect table setting.
- Feed oil in the oil can.
- First serve hot in the tureen.
Dinner table setting
Table setting rules for dinner etiquette
Dinner, whether it’s a party or a quiet family, is always associated with warmth and comfort. Therefore, it is important for the hostess not only to properly serve the table, but also to supplement the serving with the appropriate details.
- Pick up the tablecloth (suitable with a small pattern).
- Place two small plates one in another, and to the left of them put a plate for bread.
- To the left of the plates, place the forks up with the teeth, on the right - the knives with the blades to the plate.
- Place dishes for alcoholic beverages to the right of the plates, for water - to the left.
IMPORTANT: The dinner table setting is similar to the dinner table setting, but it is distinguished by the lack of a deep plate and a spoon for the first course. This dish is not a place on the table in the evening.
Table setting for dinner differs by the lack of deep plates.
Beautiful table setting: rules
Festive table is usually laid not only for members of his family, but also for invited guests.
The festive feast will be considered successful if the table is beautifully and correctly served, and guests at the table will be comfortable and convenient.
There are several rules for serving the holiday table, observing that any hostess can show her ability to meet guests at the highest level:
- Tablecloth for the holiday table should be perfectly clean and ironed. It is desirable to spread a thick cloth on the table under the tablecloth, which will avoid the ringing of dishes in case of accidental fall, and also protect the table surface from spilled liquids. However, it is permissible not to cover an expensive wood table from a tree.
- Utensils and appliances that are used for serving should be from the same set. It is unacceptable to serve a holiday table with dishes of different colors and sizes. Clean and shine dishes should be immaculate.
- Both plates and appliances should be laid out only in the order in which the hostess plans to serve dishes.
- On the table should not be extra dishes and appliances. Items "just in case" are not needed, but only spoil the look of the table.
- All alcoholic beverages are served on the table in pre-opened bottles, but the champagne is opened just before serving.
- For each guest must be prepared one fabric and several napkins.
- Guests are poured into the plates by the hostess. Someone from the guests or the household can help her serve the filled plates. This should be done by approaching everyone at the table from the right side.
- The guests themselves put the second course in a plate from the common dish.
IMPORTANT: The following order of serving dishes at the festive table is generally accepted: appetizer, first course, fish dish, meat, sweet dessert and fruit, tea or coffee.
The presence of a thematic decor in the center of the holiday table will emphasize the hostess’s efforts and make the feast cozy and warm.
Beautiful festive table setting
Banquet table setting rules
Banquets are held in honor of any major holiday, such as an anniversary or a wedding. The concept of "banquet table" implies that the event will be held in a specially rented banquet hall, waiters will serve the guests.
Banquet attributes are:
- Various decorations (balls, bows, special drapery)
- Entertainment for guests (live music, performances, master of ceremonies or host of the holiday)
Banquet table setting
Banquet table must match the situation, occasion and general mood. The main rules of its serving:
- Folding tables are used, which are arranged depending on the number of guests, features of the hall, type of service.
- Tables are covered with white banquet tablecloths, leaving about 25 cm slopes from the edges.
- In the first place arrange small plates. They are positioned in such a way that the distance between adjacent plates is not less than 60 cm, but not more than 80 cm, and the distance to the edge of the table does not exceed 1 - 2 cm. Snack plates are placed above, and on the left - pastry.
- On the right, lay knives with blades facing the plates. All devices located on the right: a table knife, a fish knife, a table spoon, a snack knife.
- To the left of the plate: a dining fork, a fish fork, two fast food forks.
- Dessert fork and knife are placed behind the plate.
- Also, a wine glass is placed behind the plate, to the right of the wine glass - glasses for stronger drinks.
- Cloth napkins are placed on plates, first giving them a beautiful look.
- Low vases with fresh or artificial flowers are arranged evenly in the center of the table.
- Also, table decoration can serve as a vase with fruit and grapes.
IMPORTANT: For a banquet table, every detail is important, so the serving takes a lot of time.
Banquet table setting option
Restaurant table setting rules
The restaurant has two serving options:
Table setting in a restaurant
Dessert table setting rules
Dessert time - the end of the main feast. All dessert equipment served shortly before serving the dessert itself. To the left of the dessert plate put a fork, to the right - a spoon.
Dessert endured on a plate-coasters. If it is chilled, it is possible to serve in the bowls or bowls.
Sweet table setting rules
Sweet table setting has no fundamental differences. They put the plate in front of her put the devices. On top of a flat plate put a deep - for liquid sweets.
On the right side of the plates are wine glasses and glasses. On the shelves you can lay out fruit or various cakes.
Before inviting guests to the table, it is covered with a tablecloth, preferably soft colors.
A tea cup is larger than a coffee cup, placed on a saucer. The spoon is placed on the saucer. To the left of the cup they put a dessert plate. For sugar use special tongs.
Festive children's sweet table setting
Rules of serving tea table
The main rules for serving the tea table coincide with the basic rules for serving, described earlier, however, a few recommendations will help create a more comfortable atmosphere for guests invited to tea:
- The color and style of the tea set should match the color and texture of the tablecloth.
- It is desirable that there was a composition of fresh flowers on the table.
- If classic Russian tea is supposed to be, the supply of tea directly from the samovar, which is placed to the left of the hostess of the house or set on a separate table, is appropriate and original.
- Milk is served in milk jug. It is advisable to put the milkman on a plate so as not to accidentally spill its contents on the tablecloth.
- Cake, roll or pie cut in portions. Fruits are put in vases, sweets - in candy. The berries are laid out on the bowls or saucers.
- Alcoholic drinks are allowed at the tea table.
IMPORTANT: Tea time is a time of intimate, intimate conversations. Even if the setting of the tea table is imperfect, the positive mood of the guests and the good cozy atmosphere will brighten up the evening and make small defects imperceptible.
Table setting for tea
Buffet table setting rules
Reception is held at official receptions, corporate events, presentations.
The peculiarity of its holding is that many people may attend the event, but neither a large hall nor special financial expenses will be required for this.
IMPORTANT: Arrange a buffet in the evening, it lasts a maximum of 2 hours. The purpose of the event - to chat, make friends. It is considered bad form to start eating one of the first and leave the buffet last.
Features of serving tables for a buffet table:
- Tables are covered with white tablecloths and arranged so that guests can move freely around the hall. For dirty dishes prepare a separate table.
- There are no chairs, because during the reception, guests come to the tables and choose food.
- Buffet menu - appetizers, light salads. The drinks are allowed champagne and wine.
- Wine glasses and stacks of plates placed at the ends of the table, next to the plates placed forks in special stands. The guests themselves will take the dishes.
- The main thing - to leave enough space on the edges of the tables.
- Napkins are placed in the holders and set evenly.
- Be sure to decorate the tables and the hall with flowers, baskets of fruit.
- Water and juice are poured into glasses, the alcohol is left in the bottles, before opening them.
- The menu for the buffet table consists of dishes that can be easily put on your plate: canapes, sandwiches and snacks.
Buffet table setting
Birthday table setting rules
Birthday is a holiday that can be celebrated both in a narrow circle of relatives and closest people, and in the noisy company of friends, buddies and good acquaintances.
Depending on what holiday the birthday man wants to arrange, you should choose the venue, menu, type of service.
- If a quiet family dinner is planned, then either a holiday table or a dinner table is served.
- If the birthday will be held in a cafe or restaurant with a pre-agreed menu, a banquet table is served.
- Those who decide to visit the restaurant on their birthday, but did not order a pre-table and certain dishes, will be waited by the standard restaurant pre-serving.
Beautiful birthday table setting
The rules of table setting for children in pictures
From childhood you need to teach your child the basics of etiquette. In adulthood, this knowledge will be useful to him more than once. In order to study the rules of behavior at the table and the basics of serving it, the baby does not have difficulties, you can conduct classes in a game form and use special pictures.
Teaching children table setting
Knowing and practicing the rules and characteristics of table setting, you can feel confident in inviting guests or setting the table for a family party.
Совместные застолья за уютным, красиво декорированным столом будут приносить положительные эмоции хозяевам и их гостям и, возможно, такие застолья превратятся в хорошую добрую семейную традицию.
Видео: Как правильно сервировать стол?